The VirtualBox team today released a significant new version of Oracle VM VirtualBox, its high performance, cross-platform virtualization software.
This version is a major update. The following major new features were added:
- VMM: major rewrite of the VT-x code and the AMD-V code including many bug fixes and performance improvements (for example bug #9659)
- VMM: introduced a lightweight instruction interpreter for situations not handled by hardware virtualization
- GUI: extended messaging mechanism (new non-modal popup overlays used to show non-critical warnings and provide user with additional information)
- GUI: keyboard shortcuts management (input page of global preferences extended with possibility to edit general keyboard shortcuts for VirtualBox Manager and Virtual Machine)
- GUI: video capturing support (bug #4766)
- Added USB touch device emulation
- Added experimental support for webcam passthrough complementing USB passthrough (see the manual for more information)
- Added SCSI CD-ROM emulation, including boot support
- VRDP: support for IPv6
- Guest Control: guest sessions now are running in dedicated, impersonated session processes (needs at least Guest Additions 4.3 installed)
- Guest Control: implemented IGuestFile support
- NAT: experimental virtual router mode: several VMs are attached to the same internal network and share one NAT service (see the manual for more information)
In addition, there are numerious items that were fixed and/or added too.
The binaries can be downloaded here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads